Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Charts


Using a practice chart can be very helpful in setting goals, measuring progress, and aiding in motivation.  

I recommend making a chart and setting up a reward system.  A small reward for 5 days of practice, a medium reward for 10 days, and a big reward for 30 days of practice.  The rewards can be tailored to your family, and should be something that you and your child enjoy.  It can be as simple as spending time together doing something fun, like baking or a bike ride or doing a puzzle together, or a trip to a favorite place as the grand finale.  Choose things that you like to do together and really play up how excited you are about reaching the goal together.  

I sometimes use charts in lessons when doing repetitions.   Each time the child completes a repetition or small task, I draw something in the box, or the child draws something, depending on what they prefer and how long it takes   Yesterday I was in a lesson with a student who is polishing Gossec Gavotte for a recital that is very soon.  I wanted to do a bunch of repetitions of "the tricky spot" with her, without creating stress about that spot.  So we made a chart with 12 boxes.  I would draw whichever animal she asked for.   She was very interested in my drawings, and didn't seem worried at all about repeating it so many times.  (Also, it was quite cute, because when I commented on a few of my drawings looking odd, she was very quick to tell me how good they were.  It gave her a chance to offer me support when I expressed insecurity or uncertainty about my drawing skills.  I think this is a nice way to show that we all have a variety of skills in different areas, and that even though I'm a little nervous about drawing, it doesn't stop me from trying.  Hopefully that message will get across to her in a subtle way.  And I appreciated her sweet comments.)

Below is a chart that I myself am currently filling.  It's not a practice chart, but something I am keeping track of for myself health-wise.  I find it very helpful to see my progress, and I do find it rewarding to fill each box.  I spend a moment congratulating myself for another day accomplished toward my goal.  Plus, I am working on my skill at drawing dogs, which needs some work, but I enjoy it!  






No comments:

Post a Comment