Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Coming back from vacation, and the fruits of happy practicing

Yesterday, I saw several students after they'd had a full week off from school.  Three of them were exhausted and having trouble adjusting back to their school schedule.  (Make that four tired people who were having trouble coming back to school, if you add me to the mix!)

But one 6 year old student came into the room smiling and said "I missed you!!!"  Then she had a fantastic lesson.  She sight read some As and Bs from the I Know a Fox book. Then she warmed up on a couple of Twinkles.  First I played along on the melody with her, then I played the harmony, and then at her request I played the piano part.  In a similar manner, we went through Lightly Row, Song of the Wind, Go Tell Aunt Rhody, O Come Little Children, and May Song.  We discussed dynamics, staccato and legato, the details of the bow hand position, tone production, and she played her arpeggios for me.  All smiling. All in 45 minutes.   As the lesson was ending, she said "I love the violin!!"

It was obvious that she had practiced a lot during the past two weeks.  After all, this is a student who only could play Twinkle and Lightly Row a month ago. 

We talked about her practice habits.  I mentioned that I have another first year student who is practicing up to an hour a day.  This student's mom said that her daughter doesn't practice for long stretches--she just does a little at a time, but keeps going back to it over and over.  I told her that I think this is a great way to practice.  I used to practice this way when I was a kid.  I'd do one longer period before school or immediately after school, and then I would play for 5 minutes in between subjects when I did my homework. It's good for your brain to keep repeating things but spread out many times throughout the day.

Her mother has told me that her daughter wants to play the violin all the time.  It's obvious that she loves it, but I can't help wonder, which came first, loving the violin, or practicing regularly?  Most of the children I meet are interested and like the violin when they start lessons.  So, what builds that love as they go forward?  I am certain that regular practicing helps keep them motivated and loving it more than irregular and sporadic practicing.

1 comment:

  1. Her mother responded to my post, and in answering my question "Which came first, love of the violin or regular practice?", she says it's definitely regular practice!

    I've been sharing that with my group classes, and they are all surprised.

    ReplyDelete