Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Balancing the Suzuki Triangle


The Parent-Teacher-Student Triangle is a way to describe the ever evolving relationship
that is at the center of Suzuki philosophy.  It is this triangle that often stumped me as a
young teacher, and now often brings the most richness and meaning to my teaching.  
That said, it is a delicate balancing act to keep each side of the triangle healthy and
functioning in an optimal way that is useful to each individual personality.  


In my opinion, this concept is so integral to the enterprise of being a teacher, or being a
student, or giving parental support.  Throughout my Suzuki training, and again through
many years of educating parents, I have found that the Suzuki Triangle is often simply
discussed as an abstraction.  The individual sides are not explored as fully as I desire,
leaving me unsatisfied.  As my first project for this blog, it is my intention to begin to flesh
out this image, and to explore each side in more detail.  


Being a visual person, I love the image of the triangle.  In my mind, I imagine that each
one has its own color, size, and vibrancy.  Much like I visualize sound, I can picture that it
might be transparent, opaque, solid, glowing, fuzzy, with sharp edges, or any number of
individual qualities. This triangle is flowing, breathing, growing, evolving, adapting.  Each
person brings a different energy to it, and like a variation of spice in a recipe, it makes a
particular and personalized triangle that is unlike any other triangle.  This magical triangle
can only be made by the one-of-a-kind human beings that stand at its points.  


Please stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment